Thursday, December 29, 2022

Posts I wish I had written......

 Everyday I am faced with stories and I think....oh I need to write that down so I can remember it.  Then, the moment passes, and I don't.  I need a good system. Maybe a voice recorder to record my thoughts when I have them to transcribe later. Maybe a notebook with me at all times.  Maybe a combination of both or something totally different! All I know for sure is that I am missing out on moments I want to remember. I just re-read my reflection on the January 6 2021 attack. Being able to return to how I felt in that exact moment was powerful. It would not have been so raw and real had I tried to recreate it days later.  

Things I have wanted to record but didn't.....

1. Papa telling the story of how he played the first game in the Apple Springs High School gym when it was completed 80 YEARS AGO! Yep, that's right 80 YEARS! What? !  He still goes over there to watch the games and is basically treated like ROYALTY.  He doesn't pay. The principle or one of the other administrators meets him at the door when he pulls up and walks him to the benches. He parks right in front of the school (in tne no parking area) which appears to be reserved for him. And YES at 96 years old, he is still driving himself around Apple Springs.  Fun times. 

2. The story Papa told me about how the old family church came to be. Who all the people were, where they lived, and how he knew them. Then the funny side story about how he had to go track down Uncle Jack (I think) to take him down to a neighbor's house to help deliver a cow...or maybe it was a horse.  Anyway. No phones in those days. So the neighbor told someone headed to Pa Clayton's store that they needed the "Doc." Pa Clayton told Papa to go get "Uncle Jack" (that may not be right). And the rest of the adventure began. This conversation then led to the first phones in the community. The first cars, and all the changes Papa has lived through.  He is at the point in his live where he LOVES recounting his stories and I truly enjoying hearing them! If only I could remember to record them! Next Time.

3. The story of the first time Papa saw a plane. He was outside working with Pa Clayton and they heard a strange noise. Once they finally figured out what it was, Pa Clayton grabbed his gun and started shooting at it! They thought it was probably looking for hidden stills or moonshiners and Pa didn't want them around. I asked Papa if Pa Clayton had a still and he said "Of Course NOT" but a lot of their neighbors did and Pa didn't want anyone bugging them!

4. Funny things my grandchildren have said or done. They are the MOST precious littles of all time-- obviously-- and I want to remember all the moments with them!

4. Reflections on my trip to Fort Parker and learning about the events that took place there.  That one is actually still relatively recent and the memories' are mine, so maybe I will actually write about that one day! 

I know there are a TON more because I remember having the thought that I should record these, but what it was is lost forever.  Do better Debi!!!

Any tips out there to help a girl out?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and sharing your thoughts with me! I appreciate you! Your comments should be available to the public soon!

Apples, Oats, Fish, Beans and Avocados...

 ...that's it.  Those are the things I need to eat EVERY Day! Why?  Well about a week ago I found out my cholesterol is at 239.   Anythi...