Sunday, January 12, 2020

#1 Azalea Trail Lufkin, Texas



Hike #1  Azalea Hiking Trail, Lufkin, Texas
#52HikeChallenge

Date: January 1, 2020
Weather:  Clear, Cool, Lovely New Years morning hike
Distance:  1.59 miles
Type:  Urban Hike through a city Nature Trail
Company: Solo

Reflections:  The day was January 1, 2020.  I was physically sick (upper respiratory and ear infection), heartbroken (all goodbyes are hard but final goodbyes are soul crushing), and homesick (missing my children,
grandchildren, friends, and routines) and all I wanted that morning was a little nature therapy. Trees, a trail, and the restorative power of communing with nature. Peace, quiet, solitude.

Since I was (am) away from home this month I couldn’t explore any of my favorite hikes or join my friends on a New Year’s snow shoe adventure  Instead I hit up Google and looked for “hiking trails near me.” Azalea Fitness Trail to the rescue.  True, the trail was paved, I could hear the traffic from the road,  and there were light posts interspersed with the trees.  But on that crisp morning it was just what I needed. Trees, crisp air, and some me time with Mother Nature (aka MoNay).  As I explored
the trail that morning, my mind transported me back to my Oregon and some of my favorite hikes, hikes I still want to do, and some I never ever want to do again.  I mentally planned out the coming year and the adventures I will have. I also spent some time thinking about my brother. Remembering our adventures as children, the dreams he shared, and his love. In that space I felt like I was finally able to start saying goodbye. Finally, I spent some time thinking about all the people I have in my life, the things that matter to me, and the aspirations I have for this game of life.  As I wandered  down the path that morning, I only encountered a few other beings—  a group of teenagers playing basketball at the park trailhead, a morning jogger, and some playful squirrels who kept me company along the way. Aside from that it was just me, the trees, a lovely little bridge (I LOVE bridges, stairs, and doors we will explore the symbolism of that another time), and MoNay.  The perfect way to start the new year, new decade, new journey.

Thank you for giving me a place to calm my mind and wish you a Happy New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and sharing your thoughts with me! I appreciate you! Your comments should be available to the public soon!

Apples, Oats, Fish, Beans and Avocados...

 ...that's it.  Those are the things I need to eat EVERY Day! Why?  Well about a week ago I found out my cholesterol is at 239.   Anythi...