Sunday, January 14, 2024

Apples, Oats, Fish, Beans and Avocados...

 ...that's it.  Those are the things I need to eat EVERY Day! Why?  Well about a week ago I found out my cholesterol is at 239.   Anything over 200 is considered high and some sources say 150 is best.  And  I am 239. Not cool. Now this is not a total shock. I have known that cholesterol was a struggle for me for about three years.  I made some changes back then and managed to get it under control. 

Unfortunately, over the last year, I let go of some of those habits...actually, to be honest, I let go of ALL my good habits.  I mean, I just dropped the ball big time.  Of course, here I am again. 

What's the plan? I did a bunch of research and came up with some key foods to avoid and others to eat.  So, what I am eating.....apples, oats, fish, beans and avocados. On the daily.  I am also incorporating chia/flax, soy, greens, nuts/seeds, and berries. 

What I am learning, is that when you can only five basic foods a day--- you have to get creative.  Every morning I consider my options and come up with something new.

Oats have been a big one because, while I enjoy oatmeal, I just don't want it every day.  Thank goodness for Google and online recipes! I made an oil & sugar-free granola and have been finding ways to incorporate it throughout the day.   My favorite dessert right now is soy yogurt with chopped-up apples, and oat granola, topped with a little chia/flax, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  De-Lish!  

Today I really wanted pancakes-- but that's not part of the heart-healthy plan. BUT  I got to thinking--could I make it with oatmeal? And, it turns out, YEAH absolutely.  1/2 c oatmeal soaked in 1/2 c soy milk until it gets soft. I mixed it in with a little basic pancake stuff and apples (of course).  Topped it with the date/walnut peanut butter I got in Jefferson yesterday and a splash of honey.  Double-De-Lish!  

Fish has been tough for me. Before this, I didn't think I liked tuna or salmon.  Turns out it is okay.  I bought a bunch of the pouches and have been using them to make stuff.  Stuff like delicious salmon patties, siracha tuna, mango salmon, and more. Each pouch is only around 70 to 90 calories and chock full of all the stuff I need to keep my heart happy.   I also bought some cod and salmon fillets. Air fryer fish---yes, please.  Who knew? Probably everyone but me.  

BEANS, I love them. Beans have not been hard. I made a yummy bean salad and added it to everything. I made some black beans and used them to make up some air fryer taquitos, enchiladas, and quesadillas.  Mexican-ish food--all the way! And hummus. Hummus--yes, please.  I will take all the hummus (within my calorie range of course). 

Avocados have been relatively easy, just add 1/2 avocado to lunch and dinner. It works. 
Apples are the same. Add a little apple to everything and you are there. 

Those are the big 5. Let's see how creative I can get moving forward.

Operation LDC (lower Debi's cholesterol) is back in action! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and sharing your thoughts with me! I appreciate you! Your comments should be available to the public soon!

Apples, Oats, Fish, Beans and Avocados...

 ...that's it.  Those are the things I need to eat EVERY Day! Why?  Well about a week ago I found out my cholesterol is at 239.   Anythi...