Saturday, August 21, 2021

Roadtrip Lessons



I set out today to see some things and do some stuff. Mission accomplished. I also learned some things along the way. 


Let’s start with the seeing and doing.  I started out driving down RT 100. Stopped off in the adorable Rochester, VT for breakfast  at the Rochester Cafe.  The highlight was the Iced Green Mountain Latte with Maple Syrup. DeLish.


  


For the beginning of my adventure, I let the Route 100 Gypsy Guide lead me through the Mad River Byway. Short stops at Texas, Moss Glenn, and Watson Falls soon gave way to busier towns, traffic, and massive hordes of people.  There were a couple of covered bridges and hikes I wanted to see/do but there were just too many cars and pedestrians around for me to figure out where I needed to be (Lesson #1).  




I eventually made my way to Waterbury, where I attempted to visit the Green Mountain tasting room--it was closed. So, I headed over to Ben and Jerrys and thought I would take a factory tour and see what the “flavor of the day” was--also closed.  How about Cabot Cheese ? (closed) (Lesson 2). Not to be deterred, I went down to the Cold Hollow Cider Mill because I saw RAVE reviews about it online and in all the “Things to Do In Vermont” You Tube videos (Lesson #3).  



My original plan was to head to Stowe from Waterbury and go stroll around a hiking trail I saw online.  With the massive hordes of people in Waterbury and the long line of traffic headed towards Stowe, I decided the other direction would be better for me. Of course by this point, I was desperately wishing I had decided to go to the beach instead because the heat and traffic were starting to fry my brain!  (Lesson 4). 


I drove for a bit listening to the Gypsy Guide and taking in the views because I didn’t really have a plan anymore (Lesson 5). As I was considering going to Fort Ticonderoga, but not really loving that idea because of the heat, I passed a sign for Sherbourne Farms and decided to take a detour.  It was mostly closed-- but their trails were open (some were even shaded) and they had cute goals.   What’s not to love about a place with weird art installations, trails, and goats?  After hanging with my goaties for a while and enjoying some quiet space, I started to feel a little more relaxed and open to other ideas. Considered my options for the rest of the day. 1)  Continue on to Fort Ticonderoga--too hot.  2) Get a hotel and hang out for the night, maybe do some swimming--swimming suit was in Rutland at the AirBnB. 3) Get some dinner--wasn’t hungry yet.  4) Turn on a podcast, point the car toward  Rutland, and enjoy the scenery. We have a winner!






Just as I reached Rutland I decided I was hungry after all and really wanted a brick oven or wood fired pizza.  Instead of going straight to the place and getting one, I decided to swing by the AirBnB first to freshen up. Once I got here, it was all over. There was no way I was heading out again. Ended up eating Tater Tots and fake chicken with Buffalo Sauce — not NEAR as good (Lesson 6).  


Overall, I would say it was a good day. Didn’t go exactly as I planned--but then what does? 


On to the lessons….


Lesson 1: Avoid touristy locations on sunny Saturdays. Judging from the license plates I saw, everyone in the states of Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New York all read the same blogs and watched the same YouTube videos.  In order to preserve one’s sanity, one should avoid “Top 12 Places” like the plague! Or maybe go on a rainy Tuesday morning when others are not as likely to be out.  Too. Many. People.


Lesson 2:  Do some research before you head out!  Seriously, we are living in Covid times. Things are different. Don’t assume that just because it’s a beautiful sunny day and 10,000,000 people are out on the roads, that any of the destinations will be open.  Why would they be open?. Side note: I just don’t really understand the rationale behind why certain places are open and others are closed. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency or logic. 


Lesson 3: Remember that you don’t particularly like shopping or looking at random things with the names of states, local specialities, or other cutesy things  on them. Shopping is not fun.  All the stores have the same things. Even if something shows up on the “Top 12” list, it doesn’t mean it’s for you (me). Find other ways to “support local” and avoid touristy stores.  Sidenote: While I did enjoy the donut and my “We are All Spots on the Same Cow” tshirt does make me smile---I didn’t need either of them  and wouldn’t have missed them if I hadn’t been there.  Stick to what you know you love. 


Lesson 4: Always choose the water activity. Beach, Lake, River, Pool whatever. If it involves tubes, toes, or kayaks getting in the water…ALWAYS GO WITH THE WATER. 


Lesson 5: Plan ahead.  Seek out the things you love (see lesson 3) and have some back up locations in mind for when things fall apart. Things will always fall apart. You can’t control other people’s path, but you can always choose a new path for yourself---take some time to plan ahead!  Find all the waterfalls, places to rent kayaks or dip your toes in the water,  quiet shady trails, or somewhere that something important happened a long time ago and just go there instead of the crowded towns and shops. Be a planner. 


Lesson 6:  Do everything you want to do BEFORE you get “home” because once you get “home”, just accept that you are not leaving again! Admit it. Own it. Embrace it.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and sharing your thoughts with me! I appreciate you! Your comments should be available to the public soon!

Apples, Oats, Fish, Beans and Avocados...

 ...that's it.  Those are the things I need to eat EVERY Day! Why?  Well about a week ago I found out my cholesterol is at 239.   Anythi...